07 November 2009

SQL Server Troubleshooting: AdventureWorks requires FILESTREAM enabled II (one year later)

   I tried a few days ago to reinstall the AdventureWorks examples, I knew about the FILESTREAM issue mentioned in a previous post, though this time after I enabled FILESTREAM via Management Studio I got another error message:
     "AdeventureWorks2008 OLTP requires FILESTEAM which is not enabled for the instance you selected. FILESTREAM must be enabled BOTH via the SQL Server Configuration Manager and via Management Studio for this instance."

    I searched for the issues without any hits, then on how to install the sample and found a post on Stuart Cox’s Tech Punch blog.     I tried to set the FILESTREAM values in SQL Server Configuration Manager and didn’t worked, getting the following error message:    

"There was an unknown error applying the FILESTREAM settings. Check the parameters are valid"    

The search returned several hits but not for Vista. In the end following without success the script-based solution proposed on MSDN, I tried my luck in the register and using regedit tool I found the entry for Filestream in Software/Microsoft SQL Server/MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER/MSSQLServer/Filestream, and changed Enabled Level to 2. Now the values in SQL Server Configuration Manager were updated and after I installed the AdeventureWorks example everything looks to be ok.

1 comment:

Suraj said...

Awesome!!! This was the best tip. This finally enabled FileStream.
Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My photo
IT Professional with more than 24 years experience in IT in the area of full life-cycle of Web/Desktop/Database Applications Development, Software Engineering, Consultancy, Data Management, Data Quality, Data Migrations, Reporting, ERP implementations & support, Team/Project/IT Management, etc.